Balance Doesn’t Mean Equal Balance

Balance isn't 50/50
Throughout my life I’ve always heard that I need balance.   And my assumption was that balance meant 50/50 or some other equal equation that gives equal time with energy, finances or whatever to whatever needs “balance”.
 
Well that is not true.  As much as we should think everything in life should be balance it isn’t.  And giving equal parts doesn’t necessary mean a happy life, or a productive life.   
 
In a relationship I’ve always heard that in order for it to be successful it needs to be balance of what everyone gives.  Again in theory sounds great.   But life doesn’t work that way.  In business one of your partners may have a better understanding or an expertise in one field or scope of a project and makes sense for this partner to do more of the work, while another time or another project another partner may be more active and be giving more to that project.  But not necessarily an equal amount total for both of those projects. 
 
Balance is a sliding scaled.  Sometimes you need to give more effort and time to one part of your life, a project or whatever then you need for another part.  If you are struggling in school should you only give 50% of your effort into school so you can balance your social life?  No!  Or if your partner loses a parent, should you expect your partner to contribute as much as they normally did around the house?  Or is your partner going to need to  lean on you more because they are hurting? 
 
With this being said a balance in relationship and time is a sliding scale.  Above I mentioned a partner in a time of need leaning on you more.   But for the rest of the relationship should they be the taker and never a giver where you need to  lean on them more then normal?  No! 
 
As a sliding scale a good relationship and balance for life is when the scales go back on forth on who is the giver and who is the receiver.  It should never be one sided.  If it is, then you are not in a healthy relationship.   
 
When it comes to my time, I don’t do good with a 50/50 balance of work and downtime.  When I’m not busy I become very lazy and somewhat depressed.  So for me if I could stay busy and productive about 90% of the day and the other 10% be leisure that is perfect day for me.   
 
With that being said, sometimes I need the leisure to be 60% and being productive 40%  or any other variation.  It all depends on what life throws your way.  
 
What a good balance for you is for you to decide.  But know what it is, and make sure it aligns with the goals you have for in life.  You might think well if I can work 10% of the day and play 90% that is a perfect balance for me.  And that could be.  But if you goal is to be President of a company or to own your own company working 10% of the day may not make it happen for you.

Please send me a message or start a discussion below, if things haven’t happen to you as you’ve planned.  Someone like you is think the same thing, however they are waiting on YOU to start the discussion

Leave a Reply